Last week, CMS announced a new program – Healthy Adult Opportunity – that would allow states to opt into a new funding program for Medicaid that offers a spending cap or block grant.
To better understand the new program, read this review by NPR or this one by The New York Times. Kaiser Health News also put together this list of five things to know about the Medicaid block grant plan.
The Roundtable is in the middle of a conversation on the importance of public health insurance programs for children and families. We turned to our field experts to get a sense of the impact of this change and here’s what they had to say:
- Kaiser Family Foundation – Implications of CMS’s new “Healthy Adult Opportunity” demonstrations for Medicaid
- Georgetown Center for Children and Families – Statement by Joan Alker on Medicaid block grant/per capita cap guidance
- Center for American Progress – Undermining Medicaid: How block grants would hurt beneficiaries
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities – Trump Administration’s harmful changes to Medicaid
- Families USA – Three consequences of CMS’s guidance for states to use block grants via 1115 waivers